Friday, November 22, 2013

A discovery in writing

I'm still working through Nanowrimo with my students, and we are all finding the end of the month slowing down.   Some of my students know they are only in the middle of their stories and push to write more. Some of us are stuck.

I've been switching back and forth between a  young adult novel and another Baxter children's book.  I struggled with Baxter's story until today.  I went to read the first book I wrote, Merry Christmouse, and discovered I had been writing the new story in a very different voice and style.  Most importantly, I was writing in a different verb tense.  

Once I went back to make changes in the new draft, I noticed how I relaxed and slid right into the story again.  Who knew - the story wants to be told in a certain tense and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment