Sunday, April 6, 2014

As the World Turns...

My writing life has taken some jumps, dips, stalls, and hard turns. It doesn't stress me too much, as I have another career that provides my income.  And, I've been assured by many writers that this is not uncommon. I've left my publishing house. After one year, they have not been able to publish my book, and I was told to find and pay for my own illustrator.  It wasn't part of the contract, nor of our original discussions, so I told them that it was unacceptable to change the rules after they'd already missed the prime sales for my Christmas story.  I'd already completed a second manuscript as part of a series, and I was beginning my third.

That is not the interesting part of this story. What is interesting is that I posted a status update on Facebook and was contacted (almost immediately) by people in the publishing world and other authors.  Now that I'm in the publishing/writing world, there is a nice network of support.  I have wonderful peers in all types of genre-writing and all stages of their careers.

I'm reminded that people and relationships are a prime success factor for me. They are more important to me than the books.  Integrity and professionalism are the legacy I want to leave.

What do you want to be remembered for?  What do you want as your legacy?


No comments:

Post a Comment