Tuesday, July 7, 2015

What are you writing when you aren't really "writing?"

Today, I've made sure to do several activities related to my life coaching, teaching, and writing endeavors. One thing I've noticed (especially with life coaching) is the amount of writing and non-writing/business efforts we do just to support what ever we ARE doing.

Life coaching is a great example. I need to make checks to my website, make sure I've got some Facebook and social media connections going, etc. Today, I finally decided to create a Blogger blog for my coaching since I was continuing to have issues with my Go Daddy account.  Go Daddy is great, and I can count on them for the best customer support, but it just seemed faster to plug in a blog with Blogger. I use it all the time for teaching and writing. Why not.

There may be several hours per week of business work that isn't actually the life coaching!  But, if it doesn't get done, then the life coaching won't happen.

The same is true with your writing life.  Even if I'm not actually writing on one of my creations for publication or contests, I'm creating my presence on social media, working on my writing blog, reading about writing, or working through journals and exercises.  Those activities are part of this whole process and writing life. I have to remind myself that the minutes spent on these activities are absolutely as valuable as the time with my pieces.

It's like sports, music, plays/movies, anything in life.  So much back work is put into the final "performance." Give yourself credit for or get on the ball with the back work.

No comments:

Post a Comment