Thursday, July 23, 2015

What do readers want?

My daughter and I were sitting and talking with my daughter of dinner. Suddenly, she became very interested in my writing. She said I needed to write about characters who don't want children. (We had a sitcom on TV in the background where the couple wanted to have a baby.) Then she went on to add that more movies and TV shows needed characters who were bisexual, pan-sexual, gender fluid, asexual, etc.

When I wrote my first children's book, the story was based on a family event.  We are Irish/Italian primarily. Pretty white. Mom, Dad, brother, sister.  However, I did have some choices when it came to illustrations.  I decided to have a mixed-race family because there aren't many characters out there for those families. But, making characters in a children's book different skin tones is easy.  What am I to do about all of the different traits my daughter was asking for? 

It's an area I'm not personally familiar with, and I want to stay authentic.  I'm glad my daughter has faith in me and things I might write in the future. It does give me a lot to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment