Wednesday, June 12, 2013

You can run, but you can't hide from her.

When you know deep inside that you are a writer, you may try to avoid Writing or run away from her. You may procrastinate, but you get back to her. You can't help yourself; you can't hide from Writing.

I am completing a master's degree course in creative writing where I presented a portfolio of pieces developed over 11 months in the program.  My shining thesis project was a 90-page live action film script. I'm pleased with it, and it received a 96 from my instructor. Not bad. But we both know that I still have work to do.  Three weeks later, I haven't looked at it again.  I keep telling myself that I need a good break from it in order to return for another revision.  I haven't looked at it again. I've written some notes down, but I haven't opened that file.  It worries me a little.

I have a self-help book that has been in the works for...well, a long time.  It needs my attention, as do my several children's books and my newest literary baby, a pilot for a children's animated TV series. I love these works. I want to see them finished and sent out to the world.

I also want a break from Writing. These pieces are like demanding children who cry, never-ending, for my energy. Writing can wear you out like nothing else. I love her, and I hate her. Unlike human children, Writing will wait until I return. She knows that I will - I hear her siren call and smile. That is how our love affaire works.



No comments:

Post a Comment