Monday, April 7, 2014

Sample of a reverse poem -

I love to show students the reverse poem titled, "The Lost Generation," by Jonathan Reed. To just keep myself creative and sharp, I tried my own version. It's not easily done quickly unless you use Reed's poem closely as a model.  Not a bad little ditty...


I am part of a dying profession
and I refuse to believe that
I can still inspire my students
I realize this may be a shock but
"All students can succeed"
is a lie, and
"Students are lazy."
I will tell my students
They are not the reason for my passion in life
The politicians will know that
I have my priorities straight because
test scores
are more important than
independent thinkers
I tell you this
Once upon a time
Teachers cared
but this will not be true in my time
This is a shallow society
Experts tell me
10 years from now, I will have left the teaching profession
I do not concede that
I will design a lesson full of creativity
Every day forward
Online or packaged programs will be the norm and
no longer can it be said that
my peers and I care about the welfare of our students
It will be evident
that teachers are data analysts
It is foolish to presume that
There is hope
and all of this will come true unless we choose to reverse it...

No comments:

Post a Comment