Monday, August 12, 2013

Warning! There be dangerous plot holes here!

I'm fully invested into this last pass of my script (ha ha... I know it won't really be the last one). And I've noticed major plot holes!  Last night, I considered scrapping the whole script.  It was late, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

However, this is all part of the process of creating something wonderful. If I had not taken a break (forced by Procrastination), then I would not have been able to step away from my writing in order to see it clearly. When I started rereading over the last several days, I checked previous pages for references and actor placement. I looked at the script from a director's point of view - what scenes matched up, which ones did not.  Was the continuity and pacing there?

I found some ridiculous scenes that served little purpose and took up far too much precious screen time.  I hadn't wanted to cut them previously, but now I felt like I'd grown out of the attachment phase as a writer. I am really ready whip this into shape. I'm not going to send out an okay script. It may be my first full feature film script, but I am going to do all I can to ensure that it doesn't go out with a big flashing NOVICE sign.

I enjoy plants and gardening. Sometimes, you have to cut and prune. You even have to uproot and replant. After all is said and done, what you do is in the best interest of the plants as a whole.

Just go in knowing you might have to be brutal!

No comments:

Post a Comment